Good Morning Steepers!
Mid to late August is my favourite time of year because It’s time to prepare for the new school year. I love it because I enjoy learning, especially now that I am in University and love my program and also because that means were getting a little closer to Autumn! I plan on doing a few back to school themed posts, in this post I will talk about Teas to get you going in the morning and speedy breakfast idea, and I will have a few more posts about supplies, lunches and snacks and teas for studying. I may also do a post with my experience in first year and what I have learned that may help you in the future. And if you are already past university or have a few more years of it under your belt please comment with your tips and advice too because I’d love to hear it!
My go to morning teas are black teas, typically earl grey (de la creme/cream of) but I also like a plain black tea straight up like nepal black or orange pekoe (usually tetley). Black tea is the most oxidized and contains the most caffeine of the traditional camelia sinensis plant, however I find drinking a few cups of green tea in the afternoon tends to keep me more awake than black tea.
Another good option for a pick me up on those rough Monday mornings are a mate tea. They are considered a stimulant and the tea for coffee lovers, although I find they do not taste at all like coffee, more of an earthy lemon-esque flavour. I dont tend to drink mate blends because I haven’t found one I love but JavaVana and MateVana from Teavana are a good coffee alternative and David’s Electric Lemonade is refreshing as an iced tea.
The best boost in the morning is matcha! Matcha has as much antioxidants in one cup as 10 cups of green tea! Matcha also contains caffeine and keeps me awake better than coffee does because you don’t get the crash. Of course you can make matcha into a latte or add it to your breakfast smoothie or oatmeal!
Lastly coffee is the final resort for me. Or once in a while I like a cup of coffee, especially this Pumpkin Pie flavoured coffee.
The most important part of the morning is of course breakfast. I like to make overnight oats in the fridge or smoothie pops so I can just grab and go in the morning. Here’s my recipes:
- Fill a mason jar half way with quick cooking or instant oats
- Add the extras of your choosing like matcha powder, chia seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, hemp seeds, protein powder, dried fruit or even fresh berries
- Add sweetener if you so choose. I like maple syrup or honey
- Add your milk or milk alternative (or cold steep tea in milk for a few hours for added flavour)
- Shake, shake, shake! place in fridge.
- Grab a spoon, your oatmeal and head out the door!
Matcha Smoothie Pops:
- Grab your blender
- Blend 1-2 bananas (the riper they are the sweeter your popsicles), an avocado, matcha powder and any other fruit of choice, preferably berries.
- you can also add yogurt, milk or steeped tea
- Pour into popsicle molds or paper cups
- Stick in the stems or popsicle sticks
- Freeze for 4+ hours or overnight
- grab and go on your way out the door!
~Davids’s Tea Matcha: https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/search?q=matcha&_antispam=antispam_873
~Steeped Tea Matcha available in vanilla, strawberry, pineapple, melon and regular:
Thanks for reading and I hope I could help you make your Monday morning, or future Monday mornings a little easier! Happy Steeping!